Looking for a quick and easy vegetable side dish? Spiced cabbage sure is a vegan’s delight. It tastes delicious when eaten with roti or even stuffed into a wrap.
- 250g /2 cups /16 oz cabbage (shredded or finely chopped)
- 1 cup green peas (frozen)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 fresh green chillies, (chopped for more heat or whole for less heat)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 100g fresh coconut, grated or desiccated (unsweetened)
- 2 tbsp fresh coconut and or 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro/coriander (to garnish)
- Pour the oil of your choice into a cooking pot or saucepan. Heat it for about 30 seconds.
- Add the mustard seeds until they splutter, then add the cumin seeds for a few seconds. Add the garlic, grated ginger, turmeric, salt and chili powder.
- Stir, and add in the cabbage. Add ¼ cup of water and continue stirring.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid. Let it cook for about 10 minutes on low heat until the cabbage is soft.
- Add the green peas and cover the saucepan for another 5 more minutes.
- Add the coconut, stir.
- Garnish with fresh coconut and fresh cilantro/coriander. Serve hot.