This freshly ground green chutney is delicious and adds colour, flavor and nutrition to vegetable sandwiches, wraps, pakoras, chaat or any of the innumerable traditional Indian snacks.
- 2 cups mint –pudina– (only the leaves, discard the stems)
- 1 cup cilantro / coriander (only the leaves and soft stems)
- 1 tbsp green chilies (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp ginger (roughly chopped)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (optional – skip if you don’t like the flavor)
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup water
- Wash and roughly chop the mint and cilantro leaves.
- Add the chopped cilantro leaves and mint to the blender.
- Add the lemon juice. The juice adds tang and maintains the green color of the chutney.
- Add the chopped ginger, green chilies and garlic. Increase or decrease the amount of chili as per your taste.
- Add salt and water and blend to a paste. You can stop the blender and stir the chutney a couple of times to get a smooth blend.
- The green chutney can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator and preferably used within the next few days.
Note: You can make variations of this chutney by adding any of the following: coconut, yoghurt, roasted peanuts or gram dal.