Traditionally eaten as an accompaniment with any Indian meal, this refreshing side dish cools down the palate balancing the spicier flavours of the richer dishes.
- 1 cup plain yogurt (preferably whole milk yoghurt)
- ½ cup grated cucumber (the seeds should first be removed)
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 4 tbsp chopped mint or chopped coriander/cilantro
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 finely chopped green chilie (optional)
- Garnish with 3 tbsp of fresh mint leaves or coriander/cilantro leaves
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Serve chilled.
Note: If you are preparing the raita in advance, don’t forget to add the salt right before serving.