A grill plate/ BBQ , oven (metal tray and foil), A medium pot, A wooden spoon, A masher, Tongs , BBQ/basting brush
- 2 large Eggplants
- 3-4 tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- 8-10 large Garlic cloves (finely chop 4-5 cloves
- 1 inch Ginger (finely chopped or grated)
- 1 -2 Green Chilies (slit) (optional)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 medium Tomatoes (chopped) OR use 1/2 cup pureed tomatoes
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala (optional)
- 2 tbsp Cilantro/Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
Grilling the eggplant
Rinse the eggplant and pat dry with kitchen tissue.
Slit each eggplant and slide in the garlic cloves and the green chillies.
Brush them with oil, and using the tongs grill them on an open flame/ over coal or in an oven (in a metal tray with foil), till the skin is scorched and starts peeling off. When cool, peel off the skin and mash the eggplant to a pulp.
Have the rest of the ingredients chopped and measured out.
To check if the eggplant is sufficiently grilled, pierce it with a fork- it should go in easily and the vegetable should be soft.
If you are using charcoal to grill, avoid using garam masala as coal gives it a unique flavour.
While buying the eggplant choose the ones with a smooth, glossy skin; not too mature or full of seeds.
Serve with: Naan or Roti, Steamed Basmati Rice